Friday, January 10, 2014

Preserving Our Heritage with Blue Corn Cornbread

I’ve been on a corn kick lately with my cooking, and have enjoyed creating my own versions of several traditional dishes.  I’ve made tacos, tamales for Christmas Eve, and even tried my hand at making pupusas for the first time.

The staple grain of the Americas, corn has sustained life on this continent for thousands of years.  Invented by my Mexican ancestors, cooking with corn reaffirms my ties to this continent, and makes me feel truly American.

While the genetic diversity of this sacred grain is threatened, I feel the best way to protect our heritage is to continue practicing it.   It was with this in mind that I’m publishing this blog's first recipe - for my famous Blue Corn Cornbread!


Blue Corn Cornbread

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup blue cornmeal
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 egg or 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1-2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
1-2 cups water, milk, or milk substitute


Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl and mix them together.  Feel free to add a dash of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, or other ingredients as desired.  If substituting arrowroot powder for egg, combine it now with other dry ingredients.

2.  Add egg (if not using arrowroot or egg substitute), maple syrup and a generous cup of water, milk or milk substitute.  Mix well.  Add more liquid for fluffier cornbread, or less for denser consistency.

3.  Pour mixture into oiled baking tray and bake at 400 for 20 mins.  Remove, let cool, and enjoy!



This cornbread was the center of my family’s meal tonight, accompanied by a black bean dish and tomato and pepper soup.  I hope that you enjoy this recipe, and that it nourishes you for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment