Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The dark side of the Walk for Autism

On Saturday morning, thousands gathered in the Central Arroyo for the "Walk for Autism Speaks" event. Though generally a supporter of such events, I watched with frustration as hundreds of plastic water bottles were distributed to the crowd. On my bike ride home through the Arroyo yesterday, I was disheartened, but not surprised by what I found. Plastic bottle caps, everywhere. A toxic material that the Earth cannot digest, being run over by cars and ignored by passersby. I couldn't fit them all into my pockets! I collected what little I could, took some pictures and moved on. 

It is time that we in Pasadena demand better from our City. Do you think the Rose Bowl Operating Company, who are responsible for cleanup, have done an adequate job? Do you think that the organizers of the Walk for Autism could improve their environmental impact upon the sensitive Arroyo for next year? I think they can. They should. And they must.






No comments:

Post a Comment